Friday, September 11

Frequent Flier

This is the first piece I wrote for a college creative writing course and, incidentally, the first piece I ever tried revising. The revision process didn't go so well for this one, but another poem I wrote later that semester transformed immensely. It went from a weird, right-aligned poem about my first kiss to a circle shape filled with thoughts of "there has to be more than this world". It was definitely a proud moment for me, because I discovered poetry is as mutable as clay, and you always have your original draft so, why not? On a side note, this poem, Frequent Flier was published in my IU's Honors College Literary magazine, also my first publication. Enjoy!

suitcase packed full of useless memories
gloves for when there are no hands to hold
and the lines of poetry that never found the paper;
zipped up tight so airline attendants can’t read
so nobody can read
wrapped in polka dots I pass security
my words are not weapons

I am tagged with a return address
to which I may or may not return
but these red eyes are worth it
so long as there are no tears
I will carry on

I’ll get lost in luggage claim or picked up by a stranger
so I can see the world
be there, do that, say that I did
terminals with foreign faces, I sleep soundly
anywhere my little wheels and zippered dreams will land

No comments:

Post a Comment