Sunday, August 23

Sonnet

I am a newfound fan of the German poet Rainer Maria Rilke  and I just finished reading his Sonnets to Orpheus which I highly recommend. This collection inspired me to reintroduce structure and rhyme back to my poetry, since I have for so long avoided rhyming like the plague. My theory: if your rhymes sound like a hallmark card or Dr. Suess on drugs, then stay away from rhyming : )

Birth

How long it's been since I first left
to see the sun outside your womb;
there, buried in your depths
I built a rooted room.

And I could sing the blooms in Spring
then cry the leaves in Fall
I sent my praise to all of Things
amongst whom I was so small.

But I no longer rest inside your caves
I live within my own
where every day I wake up brave

with steps that make your skin recoil
until, again, I lie under the stone
content, I'll sleep within your soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment